Re: [Orgmode] Re: disable automatic source block evaluation but allow ma

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: disable automatic source block evaluation but allow manual
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 15:08:25 +0100

On 12/16/2010 10:48 AM, Sébastien Vauban wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> Andreas Leha wrote:
>> is there an option (source block header argument) that allows to disable the
>> evaluation of the block, but still allows C-c C-c to perform the evaluation?
>> The header argument ':eval never' disables the evaluation completely. I'd
>> like the C-c C-c to take precedence over this.
>>
>> So I guess I am looking for something like ':eval manual'
>
> If I rewrite what I understood from your post, you want to make a clear
> distinction between:
>
> - allowing evaluation in the Org buffer (when *editing*)
> - allowing evaluation when *exporting* it
>
> In fact, I've been thinking at something that annoys me a bit, around this
> similar subject: I find it weird to have a buffer that does not contain the
> same up-to-date information as the exported (and updated) document.
>
> Arbitrary example:

> * Sh code
>
> #+begin_src sh :results output :exports both
> date
> #+end_src
>
> #+results:
> : Thu, Dec 16, 2010 10:32:36 AM
>
> #+begin_src sh :var thisfile=(buffer-file-name)
> echo $(ls -lia "$thisfile" | cut -d " " -f 6) "Bytes in this buffer"
> #+end_src
>
> #+results:
> : 297 Bytes in this buffer
>
> If I add words in that file, the number of characters will go up. That will be
> correctly "visible" (shown) in the exported document.
>
> But, *if I don't manually execute* all the code snippets above, they will have
> a wrong output...[1]
>
> ... moreover, as said previously, it will always (in the above example) be
> different from the HTML/PDF version of that buffer. It may lead to erroneous
> appreciation of code results, and lead to different and unsynchronized
> versions of documents (source Org file, exported documents).

Here the distinction (or view) of what the org file is comes in: as you
see it, the org-file is a *usable result* in itself and already the
*final product*. Then, it *has* to reflect (and be identical to) the
exported one.

If, on the other hand, I see the org file as a *source*, equivalent to
source code, the final product is what I get when I export (or compile)
- - then it is irrelevant if the results in the org file are up to date or
not - they could be seen as an *illustration* or an *example* on how the
final results will look. This is how I see it.

But I can completely understand, why you would like to have your
org-file as an up-to-date document in its own right.

I guess one possibility would be to have a header argument
(update-results-when-exporting) which, if set, would update all results
in the org buffer and export then.

I for myself actually only use the C-c with the results block for
testing, and the final evaluation is done in the export.

Cheers,

Rainer

> I have a gut feeling that either:
>
> - the export function should not evaluate any code block, or
>
> - when evaluating them for the export, the Org buffer should be updated in the
>   same way (results of evaluation copied back into the Org buffer).
>
> I guess the first solution is not a good one. What about the second?
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb
>
> Footnotes:
> [1] Number of characters won't reflect the new values. And, even if I don't
> touch it, the time information will be different between the Org and the
> exported files.

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Natural Sciences Building