[Orgmode] Re: Huge performance problems to open some Org files

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Huge performance problems to open some Org files
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 14:26:19 +0100

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi Sebastien,
>
> it seems clear that it is not orgmode that causes the delays in its own
> functions.

I don't have any doubt on that. Org is only the top of the iceberg.

> One way to find out what is goin on is this:
>
> Turn on debug-on-quite.
>
> The, when in this slow loading process, press C-g at random times and see
> look at the functions in the backtrace.  Instrument these functions or better
> packages with epl as well and iterate until you find which  functions eat up
> the time.

Believe me or not, but C-g has not effect during those 7 seconds. It simply
does not stop anything; it's like if it was simply ignored. So, the above is
impossible to do in this case.

> vc- stuff version control may be one likely offender.

I have all my files under either Git or Svn -- no performance problem
(noticed) for almost all of them. This one is somehow "special".

I've eliminated flyspell from the possible culprits by instrumenting it, and
seeing it does do "nothing"...

Best regards,
  Seb

--