[Orgmode] Re: Installing org-mode from git without byte-compiling

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Installing org-mode from git without byte-compiling
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 15:41:08 -0500

Jeff Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> Bernt, Eric Schulte, and others,
>
> Bernt recently mentioned to me on #org-mode that he doesn't
> byte-compile org-mode, which makes it much easier to read backtraces.
> I'm trying to use Eric Schulte's starter-kit fork, and the
> instructions suggest compiling org-mode.[1]
>
> Inspecting the Makefile, I see that I probably want to make the info
> documentation and have that installed automatically, I just don't want
> to byte-compile the lisp.
>
> 1) Is there a flag or something I can pass to make in order to skip
> byte-compiling but perform the rest of the script tasks? (The Makefile
> docstring suggests 'make doc' to make html and PDF docs. Will it also
> make the info docs and install them automatically?)
>
> 2) Out of curiosity, is 'make install' ever necessary when the local
> git directory is sourced into the load-path?

Hi Jeff,

I use specific targets with make for the things I want:

  make lisp/org-install.el
  make doc/org.info
  make doc/org.pdf

Other than these (and org.pdf is rare) I don't use any other targets
that I am aware of.

You can remove *.elc files with git using

  git clean *.elc

You can run make targets with -n to display what they would do (but not
actually do anything).  As far as I know the make install task only
builds the *.elc files if necessary and updates the system level emacs.

Try:

  make -n install

and look at the resulting output.

Regards,