[Orgmode] Re: Org -> OpenOffice/OpenDocumentText

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Org -> OpenOffice/OpenDocumentText
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 19:42:51 +0530

Sebastien

> Hi Jambunathan,
>
> I am currently very interested in your work for converting Org files
> into OpenOffice documents. Meanwhile you forked Org-7.3 for that.

Thanks for your interest.

> I was wondering if it is a big deal to make your project apart of Org
> thus it could be used with any version of Org.

I am not sure how to answer this question. I am inclined to ask why you
have hesitation in upgrading to the new (or the next) Org version?

To give a circuitous answer, org-odt.el has now new dependecies on
org-parse.el and org-newhtml.el. All these files are new. IIRC, Only
changes that I have made to existing org-mode files are in org-export.el
and org-footnotes.el. These changes are trivial.

=== Long Story ===

OpenOffice exporter that I have been working on has undergone quite a
bit of change since the last recorded message in this mailing list.

I am CCing the mailing list as it will be of general interest.

Initially org-odt.el was based on org-html.el [1]. Subsequently Lennart
Borgman refactored out org-html.el in to a backend-agnostic parsing
engine org-parse.el and a html-specific org-newhtml.el [2].

Given this development, I thought that the right thing to do would be to
"port" my changes over to Lennart's parsing engine.

I have ported most of my local changes to the new interface. As a result
I have abandoned my old work-area [3] in favour of the new work-area
[4].

I would like to make few cosmetic changes to my repository before making
a formal announcement sometime early next week seeking alpha-testers for
the OpenOffice exporter..

Footnotes
=========

[1] Lennart's announcement
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-11/msg00238.html

[2] My reasons for not going the refactoring route
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-11/msg00226.html

[3] Old OpenOffice Workarea
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-11/msg00109.html

Unfortunately it was "copied" as opposed to "git cloned" so stands
abandoned.

[4] New OpenOffice Workarea and a "potential release candidate"
http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode/org-jambu.git/

Lennart's original org-parse.el and org-newhtml.el can be found under
./contrib/odt

My own enhancements to org-parse.el, org-newhtml.el and the "new"
  org-odt.el can be found in
./lisp/ directory

Jambunathan K.