Re: [Orgmode] Re: IMPORTANT: Migration of org-mode.git to the new server

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: IMPORTANT: Migration of org-mode.git to the new server on sunday 5pm-7pm CET (UTC+1)
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 10:56:50 +0100

On Jan 8, 2011, at 10:02 AM, Bastien wrote:

Hi Bernt,

Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

Is it really necessary to rebuild the org-mode git repository (with
filter-branch) to remove the ORGWEBPAGES/ content. Anyone with a clone and local branches of the existing repository will need to move all of
these to the new repository.

Would creating a commit to remove the ORGWEBPAGES directory in the
existing repository not work just as well?  This will keep all of the
existing SHA1s for historical commits intact.

I think you're right.  Our goal was to remove ORGWEBPAGES/ into a new
repo with a proper history of its own. As Jason did that with success,
I asked him to do the filtering for org-mode.git too -- which might be
too much (my bad).

Jason, Carsten, what is your take on this?

I agree with Bernt.

Cheers

- Carsten

If you remove the ORGWEBPAGES directory with just a commit in the
org-mode repository then the SHA1's of previous commits will not change

Which is more in the spirit of what git allows: keep the revision
history as *truthful* as possible.

and we can just change the URL to point at the new server and we're
done.

I'm for the direction you suggest -- I let Jason and Carsten tell me
what they think before deciding.

Thanks for voicing this in time!

--
Bastien