Re: [Orgmode] Re: IMPORTANT: Migration of org-mode.git to the new server

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: IMPORTANT: Migration of org-mode.git to the new server on sunday 5pm-7pm CET (UTC+1)
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 11:04:35 +0100

On Jan 8, 2011, at 10:56 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

On Jan 8, 2011, at 10:02 AM, Bastien wrote:

Hi Bernt,

Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

Is it really necessary to rebuild the org-mode git repository (with
filter-branch) to remove the ORGWEBPAGES/ content. Anyone with a clone and local branches of the existing repository will need to move all of
these to the new repository.

Would creating a commit to remove the ORGWEBPAGES directory in the
existing repository not work just as well? This will keep all of the
existing SHA1s for historical commits intact.

I think you're right.  Our goal was to remove ORGWEBPAGES/ into a new
repo with a proper history of its own. As Jason did that with success, I asked him to do the filtering for org-mode.git too -- which might be
too much (my bad).

Jason, Carsten, what is your take on this?

I agree with Bernt.

Sorry, let me be more specific.

I am for moving the website to a separate repository. THis makes a lot of sense. It does require to the release process though, because my setup also used to update the webpage automatically.

But I think that Bernt is right that it would be much better for users if the git repo remains in tact, so that moving simple means changing the pointer to the repo, and that local branches will survive. So simple removing the webpage from the repo with a commit sounds like a good idea to me.

I don't think moving the webpage into a special branch is the right solution.

- Carsten

Cheers

- Carsten

If you remove the ORGWEBPAGES directory with just a commit in the
org-mode repository then the SHA1's of previous commits will not change

Which is more in the spirit of what git allows: keep the revision
history as *truthful* as possible.

and we can just change the URL to point at the new server and we're
done.

I'm for the direction you suggest -- I let Jason and Carsten tell me
what they think before deciding.

Thanks for voicing this in time!

--
Bastien