Re: [Orgmode] Re: IMPORTANT: Migration of org-mode.git to the new server

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: IMPORTANT: Migration of org-mode.git to the new server on sunday 5pm-7pm CET (UTC+1)
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 15:01:08 +0100

Hi Achim,

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Just to clarify my position: for me it boils down to the question: is
> the orgmode.org web page part of the org-mode project or not?

It was, but I think it should not be anymore.

One advantage of having a separate org-web.git repo is to let people
contribute to the website without having to grant them push access to
the repository.

> If removed from the repository this sends a strong message
> (intentionally?)  that it is not.

Yes, this is intentional - and we discussed this with Carsten before
I suggested this move.

> Even then, from a Git point of view filtering makes no
> sense unless you deliberately need to remove history: just do a fork
> (split into two repositories that will diverge from then on) -- or, as I
> had suggested earlier, branch (fork in the same repository).

Simply removing ORGWEBPAGE/ is simpler.

Thanks for insisting on Bernt's point about git history -- this is
something I overlooked while planning this change.

Best,

--
 Bastien