Re: [Orgmode] Using org-agenda-filter-preset with or'd tags

From: John Tarbotton
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Using org-agenda-filter-preset with or'd tags
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 13:01:41 -0500

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 08:58, David Maus <address@hidden> wrote:
At Mon, 20 Dec 2010 14:12:39 +0000 (UTC),
johnt wrote:

> I am trying to set a custom command to show my work tasks and critical home
> tasks for the day.
>
> I have tried the following.
>
> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>       '( ("W" "Work Schedule"
>          ((agenda ""
>            ((org-agenda-filter-preset '("@Work|critical"))   ;; this doesn't work
>             (org-agenda-ndays 1)))
>           (tags-todo "@Work|critical")))
> )
>
> It seems just to ignore the filter. The tags-todo line works fine.
>
> I tried various filters to verify my syntax.
> using (org-agenda-filter-preset '("address@hidden")) works fine but is not what I want.
> using (org-agenda-filter-preset '("@Work" "|" "critical")) also doesn't work.

There are some errors in your `org-agenda-filter-preset':

 1. You should not quote this list, because the entire structure of
   `org-agenda-custom-commands' is already quoted.

 2. Format of `org-agenda-filter-preset' (C-h v
   org-agenda-filter-preset RET):

  ,----
  | A preset of the tags filter used for secondary agenda filtering.
  | This must be a list of strings, each string must be a single tag preceded
  | by "+" or "-".
  `----

  So ("@work" "|" "critical") is wrong format.

 3. The preset filter ANDs the tags together and as far as I am aware
   of (our could think of) it is not possible to OR tags together.
   However, I wonder why you would like to set the preset-filter: The
   tags-todo query already selects only tasks that are either tagged
  address@hidden or critical?

HTH,
 -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... address@hidden

Thanks for the reply.  It turns out that most of this did not matter.  I was mostly
concerned with this for export and use with Mobile Org.  For these it seems to
process all the custom commands together.  This seems to act like a block agenda
which does not support filtering of individual blocks.  I could get one custom command
to export or push to mobile org correctly but with more then one the filters were ignored.
I ended up having to write some custom functions to process the commands one at
a time to temporary files and then combine the files. The or'ing of tags not being
supported is still an issue but I changed my usage to get around that.

Thanks for the tip on "C-h v org-agenda-filter-preset RET" to get information on a variable.
There is just so much to learn.

John