Re: [Orgmode] [babel] Painless integration of source blocks with languag

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [babel] Painless integration of source blocks with language
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 10:12:43 -0700

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> "Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> A crude version of the above is already possible using the
>> `org-babel-detangle' function.  For example, follow the instructions in
>> the attached org-mode file (which uses elisp rather than clojure code
>> blocks simply for wider portability to non-clojure users).
>
> Detangling, as currently implemented, doesn't do the job for me as it
> doesn't understand noweb.  My current mode of operation with org and
> babel is to have various snippets of code throughout a file and then
> combine these in different ways using noweb syntax which I then tangle
> to create different source files (each bringing together different
> pieces in different configurations).

I agree, this is an area ripe for improvement.

> In any case, and please excuse me for hijacking this thread a little,
> the increasing use of babel (a good thing!) especially with noweb syntax
> and tangling (as this thread is about) is bringing up a document
> management issue: I find it difficult (a) to remember what all my source
> code snippets are called and (b) to navigate to any given snippet.  I
> would love to see a babel table of contents popup (a la the table of
> contents popup with reftex implements for latex files).  Is something
> like this already available?  If not, how difficult would it be to
> implement (I'm happy to try given a pointer in the right
> direction(s)...).

There was some talk of merging imenu with Babel which would provide the
functionality you describe, I don't believe this ever resulting in
working code however.  There are a couple of options...

If you know the name of the code block you want to find you can use
`org-babel-goto-named-src-block' (bound to C-c C-v g) to jump to a named
code block (∃ a similar function for finding named results).  This
function provides completion on the block names, the function
`org-babel-src-block-names' returns a list of all named blocks in the
current buffer, so it could be used to built up such a table.  In fact
the following code block will insert a table of such names in the
current buffer.  Note: you will need to pull the latest as I had to fix
a small bug in `org-babel-src-block-names'.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :results list
  (mapcar #'list (reverse (org-babel-src-block-names)))
#+end_src

Hope that helps, Best -- Eric