Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-babel, R, and org-babel-open-src-block-result

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-babel, R, and org-babel-open-src-block-result
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 10:44:22 -0700

Leo Alekseyev <address@hidden> writes:

> Erik Iverson <eriki <at> ccbr.umn.edu> writes:
>

>> On 01/11/2011 04:22 AM, Leo Alekseyev wrote:
>> > I recently started using org-babel with R, and so far I think it's
>> > pretty great!  I'm still getting accustomed to org-babel workflow and
>> > am playing with available options.  I have a couple of questions:
>> >
>> > I noticed that C-c C-o (org-babel-open-src-block-result) always gives
>> > me an empty *Org-Babel Results* buffer, even if there's output printed
>> > to #+results section.  Is this a bug?  Am I doing something wrong?
>> >
>> > On a similar note, is there an option for the #+ results session to be
>> > completely suppressed?..  I can see situations where I might simply
>> > want to send the code to the inferior process and examine the results
>> > there using :results output :session, or perhaps I'm running the code
>> > just for the side effects.  It would be nice if I could say e.g.
>> > :results none.
>>
>>  From the manual:
>>
>> The following results options indicate what happens with the results once
>> they
>> are collected.
>>
>>      * silent
>> The results will be echoed in the minibuffer but will not be inserted into
>> the
>> Org-mode buffer. E.g., :results output silent.
>
> Thanks Erik.  It would be nice if section 14.9 of the Org manual could
> reference 14.8.2.

I couldn't agree more, I've just pushed up this change to the manual.

> In general, it would be nice if the org HTML documents could support
> the same outline folding cycling behavior that you see in Emacs
> buffers, otherwise it's difficult to see the surrounding context.

I personally prefer to use the Emacs `info' interface, both because you
can easily text search through all parts of the manual, and for issues
of navigation and viewing a wider context.

> I'd still like to know what (org-babel-open-src-block-result) is
> supposed to do...  Haven't found that in the manual.

Hmm, apparently in some cases it does nothing currently due to a bug,
I've just fixed this buy, so please pull the latest Org-mode, and try
copying the following block and results into and Org-mode buffer and
calling C-c C-o from within the code block.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (mapcar #'list (reverse (org-babel-src-block-names)))
#+end_src

#+results:
| tangle-A                        |
| tangle-C                        |