Re: [Orgmode] org-agenda-show-current-time-in-grid and automatic refresh

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-agenda-show-current-time-in-grid and automatic refresh
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 03:23:44 -0500

Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Kiwon,
>
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 12:23:48 +0900
> Kiwon Um <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Dear org users,
> >
> > The recent function for showing current time in agenda view is quite
> > cool. I have a question about it. When the agenda view is being shown,
> > is there any way to refresh it automatically so that makes the current
> > time line always recent?
> >

> I have thought about that, I even worked up a small minor mode for that
> (attached). But it doesn't seem to work very well. It updates only the
> first time but fails subsequently. I am still a lisp newbie. If someone
> could guide me, I could give it another try.
>
> Right now it only updates if any of the agenda file buffers change but I
> would also like to put a timer. Then if no agenda files have been edited
> in a while (say 5 mins) the agenda buffer is refreshed anyway. But I
> don't know how to do that. Any suggestions would be welcome.

You can probably use run-with-timer or run-with-idle-timer to do things
like this, but I'm with Detlef Steuer: pressing 'g' in the agenda to
refresh it is simple and does not consume any extra resources - you do
it when you need to and it's done. I just find the idea of running a
timer in order to update a time line in the agenda every once in a while
somewhat distasteful, but maybe it's just me.

OTOH, I'm being somewhat hypocritical here because I run two visible
clocks: one in the gnome panel and one in the emacs mode line with
display-time. Having three of them however is clearly overkill :-)

Nick