[Orgmode] Re: [bug] org-store-link on gnus message fails

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [bug] org-store-link on gnus message fails
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 09:38:30 +0100

Hi Eric,

Eric S Fraga wrote:
> Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:
>> this patch should do the trick. I think the issue was a malformed Date:
>> header that couldn't be converted to a timestamp.
>
> Actually, I am curious about this. What is the point of extracting the date
> in any case? It's used to store link properties but I don't understand where
> these properties can be used? I'm asking in case I'm missing a useful
> functionality I hadn't thought of...

Well, I often (now) keep extracts of mail in my Org buffers. Via a capture
template[1], these get a TODO keyword, a SCHEDULED date (by default, set to
today), a link to the Gnus message (or http link to Gmane) and the date of the
mail.

Why keeping the date of the original mail?  Because it's interested to see,
when scanning which emails I still have to answer on, when they've been
issued -- without having to follow on the link.

It is an indication of the age of the mail, that could serve as well for
sorting the subtrees (if I'm not wrong -- I don't use that feature but...).

Does this answer your question?

Best regards,
  Seb

Footnotes:
[1] Reference code...
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
          (setq org-capture-templates
                `(("m" "Mail" entry
                   (file+headline "~/Personal/refile.org" "Tasks")
                   "* TODO %:subject%? (from %:fromname) :mail:
   %:date-timestamp-inactive
   SCHEDULED: %t

#+begin_verse
%i