[Orgmode] Re: Worg needs some reorganizing

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Worg needs some reorganizing
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 23:16:03 +0100

Jason Dunsmore <address@hidden> writes:
> I made several unit changes from px to em, removed the line-height
> property, and removed Georgia as the default font:

Well actually, relative font sizing works would be 'larger' and
'smaller', which would take into account what fonts are actually
available.  Specifying the fonts with percentages or em often ends up at
a font size that is not available and must be scaled, which can look
really bad.  But before I make a mess by trying to explain it, search
for:

css relative font sizes -w3schools

I actually don't assign sizes in my own CSS and rely on the default
sizes the browser delivers.  That may be too chancy for you since the
defaults are bad in several older browsers, but it works well enough
with all the modern ones.

> In h2, h3, and h4, removing Arial as the font-family and letting the
> browser use the default sans font looked ugly.  Is there a more
> general way to specify an Arial-like font?

Sans-serif uses whatever the user has specified to be used for this
font.  To me, Arial looks ugly and I'm using a different font there;
I've also replaced serif with the same font because I've yet to find a
website that actually reads better with a serif font.  Finally, I've
also locked my fonts so I don't get overruled by some webdesigners idea
of "nice-looking" and "readable" (which may well be true on their
computer).  :-)

BTW, "sans" is not a generic font family and might actually return a
(pixel?) font installed on the system.  Last but not least, font
families should be quoted and generic families not, e.g.:

font: "Georgia", sans-serif;
font-size: medium; /* absolute specification decided by UA, user preference */

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER: