Re: [Orgmode] Status google calendar sync

From: Ian Barton
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Status google calendar sync
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 09:43:56 +0000

I know some people managed to get a kind of sync running between
org-mode and google calendar. I would really like to know how this works
out for them and maybe create a stimulus to write something (I would
play the beta-tester) on worg.

Ideally, I want to have a no-brainer. I create a new appointment in
org-mode and a keypress away it should be synced with the google
calendar. Alternatively, an automatic sync every hour or so would be nice.

On the other side, I wish I could add an appointment on my mobile phone
and it ends up automatically with the next sync as an appointment in a
special heading in the org-file (like org-remember, does). From this
point, I could move it to other locations if I feel so.

I would love to hear how far people got with an approach like describe
above.

Hi Torsten,

I have been playing around with this for a while. I use a Nokia phone, but the principle is the same. I have experimented with both syncing from my org files to Google and syncing from Google to org.

I don't attempt bi-directional sync, so one side of the sync operation is always considered the "master". Initially I tried creating an org file from Google calendar by using the python bindings that Google provides. This worked pretty well - basically the org file is re-created each time I synced with Google.

However, almost without exception, I will be at my computer when I want to create an appointment. So, for me it makes sense to create my appointments in org and export them to Google. At the moment I have a cron job that exports my appointments as an ics file on my server and Google reads this. Luckily, I don't have complicated appointments. They tend to be single events, or weekly recurrences which org handles OK.

The one useful thing I am missing at the moment is the ability to set reminders in Google Calendar. I find these very useful as Google will send me an SMS message. In fact I often create appointments, which are really just reminders! I am planning to implement this by creating reminders as org Properties and then using them to create the Google reminder.

Since I am still on page one of the "Complete Idiots Guide to elisp", I plan to do this in Python, which has some nice libraries for creating ics files.

Ian.