[Orgmode] [OT] emacsclient -t (was Re: [OT] Have you also got hooked by

From: Jeff Horn
Subject: [Orgmode] [OT] emacsclient -t (was Re: [OT] Have you also got hooked by Vim?)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 12:41:36 -0500

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
> Matt Lundin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Jeff Horn <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Thanks for sharing this. My manual doesn't mention the -t flag. What
>>> does it do? (I didn't know about -a, but it looks nifty)
>>>

>> Now that I consider this further (and read the emacs man page), I'm not
>> sure if the -t flag is correct here. (It may be new to emacs 24).
>>
>> In any case, "-nw" is the tried and true flag for doing this.
>
> IIRC, -t is the same as -nw and is present from emacs 23.1 (maybe
> earlier) onwards.  Very useful when connecting from a non-graphical
> terminal (e.g. a mobile phone) to an existing Emacs running on
> X... something I do frequently via =screen= for emulating a persistent
> connection.

So IIUC, I have a windowed Emacsen running on a box where I work. If I
run `emacsclient -t somefile.txt` from an SSH connection to that box,
it uses the server that was started by the windowed emacs, but instead
of opening the file in the windowed emacs, it re-routes it to my SSH
session?

This would be extremely useful to me. However, when I tried that on my
box just now, the terminal session froze and the windowed emacs was
brought to the front without the correct buffer being displayed...
wonder what I'm doing wrong... This is in my bash profile:

function ec(){
    emacsclient $1 --alternate-editor="" -t &
}

Any clues?

--
Jeffrey Horn