Re: [Orgmode] Re: Minor gotcha with org-agenda-files

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Minor gotcha with org-agenda-files
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 10:06:45 +0000

suvayu ali <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Tommy and Eric,
>
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 8:59 PM, Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Tommy Kelly <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Ah but hang on.
>>>
>>> First, is it reasonable to consider it obvious (I mean, it wasn't to me)
>>> that using C-c [ invokes customize?
>>>
>>> Second, even if it is reasonable, isn't it the case that customize
>>> offers a temporary change of variables? You have to explicitly ask it to
>>> make the change permanent, no?
>>
>> It would indeed be friendlier if this were done here as well.
>>

> I am not familiar with how to interface ui with customize so I don't
> know whether its possible or not, but there are many instances in
> emacs where this is done as standard practice. For example marking
> certain file local variables as safe, or turning on some special
> behaviour when invoked for the first time (e.g. side scrolling).
> However I do recall all of these prompts the user whether they want to
> keep the settings temporary or make it permanent. So I would say its a
> Request for Feature Enhancement / Bug rather than a mere documentation
> bug.

Yes, I think this is the key aspect: all other instances of commands in
Emacs modifying the .emacs file, that I am aware of, indicate they are
about to do so although sometimes in a roundabout kind of way
(e.g. "make this change permanent").

So, can we have a feature request for this?  A simple y-or-n-p type
prompt would suffice.

--
Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D)