Re: [Orgmode] Using properties for diary-anniversaries

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Using properties for diary-anniversaries
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 16:02:16 -0500

Adam <address@hidden> wrote:

> Can I ask a more general question on this topic. Sort of, how
> we are using Emacs or Orgmode, for Anniversaries etc.
>
> So, there's a forthcoming Anniversary, say a birthday. And
> we want to be advised of this before that date.

How do you want to be advised?

> Do we see it as a red highlighted Date, in Calendar, and then have
> to look at that highlighted date to see what's coming.  Or is it
> common to set up the anniversary / birthday to start appearing
> in a weekly or monthly Orgmode agenda ? Not as a Deadline,
> but as a Warning or Reminder. In which case regular Agendas
> are needed to be outputted.

As I mentioned before, I use bbdb for contacts[fn:1] and the setup
described in sec. 10.3.1 of the Org manual for anniversaries. They then
appear in my agenda: since I use a 7-day span, I see them a week in
advance. See an earlier message in this thread for more details.

> It would almost be nice if some forthcoming events were outputted
> to Messages, whenever Orgmode opened any org document.

? Don't know what this means: the *Messages* buffer? or something
else?

> But I'm wondering how others flag forthcoming events, in Calendar
> or in Orgmode.

HTH,
Nick

Footnotes:
[fn:1] Julien Danjou is apparently working on a bbdb replacement that
he calls org-contacts, but it's still work-in-progress.