[Orgmode] [bug] latex export ignores org-export-latex-default-packages-a

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: [Orgmode] [bug] latex export ignores org-export-latex-default-packages-alist?
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 15:33:38 +0000

I need to use the amsmath package for a paper I am writing.  This
conflicts, unfortunately, with the wasysym package which is loaded by
default in the org-latex exporter.

Checking the documentation for org-export-latex-classes, I find:

,----
| - Calls to \usepackage for all packages mentioned in the variables
|   `org-export-latex-default-packages-alist' and
|   `org-export-latex-packages-alist'.  Thus, your header definitions should
|   avoid to also request these packages.
`----

I then checked out the first of these lists and customised it (first, by
hand, then by emacs's own customisation method) to turn off the
inclusion of wasysym.  The value of the variable, upon restarting emacs
just to make sure, is:

org-export-latex-default-packages-alist is a variable defined in `org.el'.
Its value is shown below.

Documentation:
Alist of default packages to be inserted in the header.
Change this only if one of the packages here causes an incompatibility
with another package you are using.
The packages in this list are needed by one part or another of Org-mode
to function properly.

- inputenc, fontenc:  for basic font and character selection
- textcomp, marvosymb, wasysym, latexsym, amssym: for various symbols used
  for interpreting the entities in `org-entities'.  You can skip some of these
  packages if you don't use any of the symbols in it.
- graphicx: for including images
- float, wrapfig: for figure placement
- longtable: for long tables
- hyperref: for cross references

Therefore you should not modify this variable unless you know what you
are doing.  The one reason to change it anyway is that you might be loading
some other package that conflicts with one of the default packages.
Each cell is of the format ( "options" "package" snippet-flag).
If SNIPPET-FLAG is t, the package also needs to be included when
compiling LaTeX snippets into images for inclusion into HTML.

You can customize this variable.

Value: (("AUTO" "inputenc" t)
 ("T1" "fontenc" t)
 ("" "fixltx2e" nil)
 ("" "graphicx" t)
 ("" "longtable" nil)
 ("" "float" nil)
 ("" "wrapfig" nil)
 ("" "soul" t)
 ("" "textcomp" t)
 ("" "marvosym" t)
 ("" "wasysym" nil)
 ("" "latexsym" t)
 ("" "amssymb" t)
 ("" "hyperref" nil)
 "\\tolerance=1000")

Original value was
(("AUTO" "inputenc" t)
 ("T1" "fontenc" t)
 ("" "fixltx2e" nil)
 ("" "graphicx" t)
 ("" "longtable" nil)
 ("" "float" nil)
 ("" "wrapfig" nil)
 ("" "soul" t)
 ("" "textcomp" t)
 ("" "marvosym" t)
 ("" "wasysym" t)
 ("" "latexsym" t)
 ("" "amssymb" t)
 ("" "hyperref" nil)
 "\\tolerance=1000")

Note that wasysym is turned off in the setting I have.  However, when I
export my org file, I find.

,----
| \usepackage{marvosym}
| \usepackage{wasysym}
| \usepackage{latexsym}
`----

I am confused.  I was trying to avoid setting the full export
information manually but I may have to.

Any suggestions?  Am I doing something incredibly silly?

Thanks,
Eric

--
Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D)