Re: [Orgmode] Status google calendar sync

From: Mark Elston
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Status google calendar sync
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 15:29:58 -0800

On 1/26/2011 4:33 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
Arun Persaud<address@hidden>  writes:

[...]

For the other route, org to Google, I use the googlecl (command line)
interface:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/27214

don't really know that much lisp, but I guess you add the entries
directly to google when you create them via org-capture? What happens if
you later edit an entry, say change the time/date? This is something I
do very often and I would need google to reflect those changes. I also
only want to export certain tags and entries that have a date-range
(e.g. start and stop time), but I guess that could be easily arranged in
the lisp function that you wrote?

The short answer is that I don't have any automation for updating events
that change unfortunately.  I imagine one could get googlecl to do this
but given the lack of documentation on that interface, it could be
tricky.  If anybody figures out how to do all of this with googlecl, I
would be more than happy!

You are right that googlecl is poorly documented, and worse, it doesn't
even work as the documentation says it should.  Try retrieving calendar
events with --fields="title,when" and see what happens.  I get the
title printed out but the "when" always comes out as None.

However, I have had better luck with the python gdata interface.  The
docs aren't much better but I have managed to figure out how to modify
an existing event using it.  And, there are examples of how to search
for specific events...

While using googlecl might be interesting it would probably be simpler
to come up with a specific library for doing the things that need to
be done directly with gdata (which is what googlecl uses anyway) and
calling scripts that make use of this specific library, instead.

Mark