Re: [Orgmode] org-latex and figures

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-latex and figures
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 17:09:51 +0000

"Thomas S. Dye" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Hi Eric,
>
> Floats are tricky in LaTeX.

agreed!

> The two most frequent problems, in my
> experience, are the "all the floats at the end" problem that bit
> Andrea and the "small float on its own page" problem.  The first of
> these comes from not including [p] and the second comes from including
> [p].  I think you have to pick your poison here--there doesn't seem to
> be a default that always works perfectly.

Yes, agreed as well other than to say that I have found [hbtp] to work
for most of my writing over the years.  I have seldom had to change from
this default.  But that could simply be a reflection of the types of
documents I work with.

Of course, as soon as you start talking about two-column formats, all of
this goes out the window! :-)

> If you want to avoid both problems, as I do, then I find the best
> default strategy to be [htb!], with [p] used for figures that are
> designed specifically to fit the whole page.

My point was simply that mixing 'h' and 'p' is perfectly legal: they
need not be treated as mutually exclusive options!

But, in any case, having an org variable that allows setting the figure
captions is fantastic: thanks to Eric Schulte for already implementing
this!

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.258.gb2ae3.dirty)