Re: [Orgmode] Re: Merging .org files

From: Pere Quintana Seguí
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Merging .org files
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 23:20:02 +0100

Al 30/01/11 20:22, En/na Michael Welle ha escrit:
>> In my current system, I have about 200 .org files. With this number of
>> files, building the agenda is very slow in my home computer and, also,
>> makes the performance of MobileOrg quite poor.
>>
>> So, I would like to join files, to increase the system's performance.
> don't the org files reflect another structure, for instance projects
> you are working on, customers you are dealing with etc?

Yes, they are organised in subjects. But, they could be organised in
another way. There is more than one valid way to efficiently organise my
information and I should choose the one that performs better. My current
system is not good enough.

>> Is there any script to cleanly join files, by transforming the title of
>> the file in a first level heading (*) and adding an star to all other
>> headings of the file?
> If you don't follow the advice of Juan, maybe you want only a few
> files merged into one file each, you can hack a Perl script or something
> similar. Finding regexp that match the headings isn't that complicated.

I'll probably follow Juan's advice. Which is very clean.

I know that hacking a script is easy, but it is even more efficient to
use an already written script if it was already written by someone. My
belief is that one of the points of free software is to reuse code as
much as possible. And I think that there is much more wisdom in this
list than in my humble brain, as Juan has proved.

Thank you,

Pere

--
Dr. Pere Quintana Seguí
Observatori de l'Ebre (Universitat Ramon Llull - CSIC)