Re: [Orgmode] [BUG] adding new plain lists item changes previous one it

From: Christian Moe
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [BUG] adding new plain lists item changes previous one it it ends in a number on a single lijne followed by a dot
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 11:11:45 +0100

Hi,

For once, I have to disagree: Numbers at the beginning of the line inadvertently starting a list item is a bug.

It means you can mess up your exported document (it doesn't just happen at M-RET) by just writing a perfectly normal text, and there is no easy-to-remember escape. (I really don't like the invisible-space workaround -- it's hard to remember how to insert it, and it's a bizarre trick to have to tell newcomers.)

ReStructuredText provides a backslash-escape for this, even though its more rigid structure reduces the chances of the error happening.

Could we borrow that trick, or would it conflict with something else?
E.g.

- Several astonishing things happened in
   \2007.
- And then there was another item.
- X

Yours,