Re: [Orgmode] [OT] Taskwarrior, nice GTD-oriented CLI thing

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [OT] Taskwarrior, nice GTD-oriented CLI thing
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 20:59:40 -0600

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Torsten Wagner <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

maybe someone should contact the devs there and invite them (to come to this email list and/or vice versa).
There is really some beauty in the idea to use dead simple command line tools to getting things fast and quickly done. On the other hand org-mode has so many useful functions.

I hear the "torn-ness." I looked at todo.txt[1] and TaskWarrior and TaskPaper[2] prior to finding org-mode. I actually found org-mode but didn't know emacs and ran away for a few months while trying to stick with my hybridized TiddlyWiki + TeamTasks[3] system. Org-mode is fantastic, but I know the appeal of those command line tools. The simple commands, lightness, and dead simplicity are hard to beat.

Perhaps a nice tradeoff would be to get something from the command line that could work with one's remember template via the command line. This is where I see the advantage of a command line interface. I, too, have a terminal open and/or can open one faster than emacs for a quick command. With some terminals like tilda[4] just a keystroke away, one could be really fast with these kinds of notes... faster than (for me) Ctrl+Alt+E (emacs), C-x C-f file.org, M-S-> (eof), type "* whatever", C-c C-t, C-x C-s, C-c C-x.

Imagine being able to pop open a terminal and type '$ org-todo "call so and so on friday" ~/org/task.org' and be done :)

I don't really care that much about the graphs, but the quick filing would be nice. I'd also like access via a script to todos, perhaps for conky integration. Even 'cat file.org |grep -A 2 TODO' isn't half bad, though. Something like a cli agenda access would be pretty cool.

John

[1] http://todotxt.com/
[2] http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/products/taskpaper
[3] http://getteamtasks.com/
[4] http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2007/12/17/tilda-a-quake-style-terminal-for-gnome/

It would be a very nice integration for both sides to settle down on a way to import/export data from each other seamlessly.
I work often with a shell and this would allow people to use the command line whenever they just need to do to something quickly and switching to emacs and org-mode if they need editor capabilities.

Greetings

Totti