Re: [Orgmode] Automatic noexport tag based on rules? (and a possible bug

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Automatic noexport tag based on rules? (and a possible bug)
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 04:36:57 -0500

John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:

> Yeah.. most of my todos aren't medium-sized projects, though. Many of them
> are more along the lines of one-liner action items I need to jot to myself
> so I don't forget as well as keeping them as a sort of rolling "next
> actions" queue. For that reason, I'd much rather keep them in their original
> context.
>
> This can't be too hard.
>
> ,---
> | sed '/[*]* TODO/ s/$/   :noexport:/g'
> `---

That's perfectly workable[fn:1].

> Or (facetious)
>
> ,---
> | setq (prefix-for-noexport-custom-variable)
> | setq (default-tags-for-no-export-variable)
> `---

This isn't ;-)

> I just don't know what the elegant, "right" elisp/org method is for
> something like this.

Eye of the beholder and all that. Here's my attempt which should work,
except I think there is a bug in org-change-tag-in-region (see below):

(defun set-noexport ()
  (org-change-tag-in-region (save-excursion (beginning-of-line) (point))
(save-excursion (end-of-line) (point)) "noexport" nil))

(defun jh-mark-todo-noexport ()
  (org-map-entries 'set-noexport "/+TODO" 'file))

There might be a simpler way to set the tag, but if so, I didn't find it.
OTOH, mapping over the entries is as elegant as it gets.

Now for the (purported) bug: org-change-tag-in-region does the following

,----
|     (goto-char end)
|     (setq l2 (1- (org-current-line)))
|     (goto-char beg)
|     (setq l1 (org-current-line))
|     (loop for l from l1 to l2 do
`----

so if the region is a single line (say line 3), l2 becomes 2, l1 becomes 3
and the loop is not executed at all, whereas methinks it should be executed
once.
Shouldn't l2 be set to (org-current-line)?

Thanks,
Nick

Footnotes:
[fn:1]  ...except that you might not want to add the tag if it's there already -
I'm not sure whether that would cause a problem.