Re: [Orgmode] Re: [BABEL] Editing dot blocks with org-exp-blocks

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: [BABEL] Editing dot blocks with org-exp-blocks
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 18:05:26 -0700

Dan Davison <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Chris Maier <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> The begin_dot is part of org-exp-blocks, as I understand it, and
>>> appears required to make it evaluate the Dot code, create the image
>>> file, and then incorporate that into the exported document (LaTeX,
>>> HTML, etc.)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Chris

>> Yes, I know; I used to use begin_dot and begin_ditaa quite a bit.  My
>> understanding is that babel knows about dot and therefore provides the
>> same functionality, albeit in a different way,
>
> I vote for removing / deprecating the dot and ditaa functionality of
> org-exp-blocks.

I also vote for removing the dot and ditaa block types from
org-exp-blocks, left over from before the existence of begin_src blocks.
As the original developer of org-exp-blocks, I no longer maintain it in
favor of focusing on begin_src blocks.

The only downside to removing these block types is breaking existing
Org-mode files... Perhaps we could add a deprecation warning which will
appear as a message every time a begin_dot or begin_ditaa blocks is
evaluate, then after a month or so of warning we can remove those blocks
entirely.

Thoughts? -- Eric