Re: [Orgmode] Re: [BABEL] Editing dot blocks with org-exp-blocks

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: [BABEL] Editing dot blocks with org-exp-blocks
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 10:02:10 -0700

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> "Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>> I also vote for removing the dot and ditaa block types from
>> org-exp-blocks, left over from before the existence of begin_src blocks.
>> As the original developer of org-exp-blocks, I no longer maintain it in
>> favor of focusing on begin_src blocks.
>>
>> The only downside to removing these block types is breaking existing
>> Org-mode files... Perhaps we could add a deprecation warning which will
>> appear as a message every time a begin_dot or begin_ditaa blocks is
>> evaluate, then after a month or so of warning we can remove those blocks
>> entirely.
>>
>> Thoughts? -- Eric
>
> Completely in favour ...
>
> ... so long as the message either provides a clear description of how to
> change from =begin_X= to =begin-src X= or gives a link to this clear
> description in the manual, say.  I haven't changed the various begin_X
> blocks yet because of the uncertainty in the mapping from one to the
> other... and because I've been lazy, I guess ;-)

Alright, I've just pushed up such deprecation warnings.  They instruct
the user to switch e.g., begin_dot to begin_src dot.  Hopefully this is
sufficient.  I suppose the responsible thing to do now is to wait
through an entire release cycle, and then two releases from now the
functions can be removed.

Cheers -- Eric