Re: [Orgmode] org-stow (Proof of concept)

From: brian powell
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-stow (Proof of concept)
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 19:57:14 -0500

You asked to hear from interested OrgMode users:

STOW is great software; yes, please push it--its great for testing and sofware configuration (STOW is) it will be very interesting and maybe very useful to see what you have in mind.

STOW reminds me of AUFS/UNIONFS and there may be other uses for people like myself; people that are interested in using OrgMode in non-traditional ways: You could use it in a real-time brainstorming group meeting---back-in and back-out of one version of a plan/agenda.  Maybe you could make "contingency plans" or "Plan B's" or "Plan 9 From Outer Space" agendas!

Recently I stumbled on "NIX" which supports the config. of several software versions of different and concurrent packaging systems like APT and RPM co-existing in harmony.  Ideas, agendas and notes in OrgMode can be seen the same way maybe.   GNU STOW was interesting for similar reasons.  NIX can help you escape from "library or version conflict hell"--ideas and notes in OrgMode are like ideas that may be  good; but, you may want to put them on the back-burner or "org-stow" them away.  http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/stow (I believe this is what you are refering to) claims "Stow is a package manager for people who don't use package managers"--NIX and other meta-packaging systems are trying to sidestep package management problems--regardless of the (usual) software conflict problems.

One may use something like an "org-stow" to write a plan/story/script (in outline OrgMode form) with many different versions for example.

There are org-drawers remember: http://orgmode.org/manual/Drawers.html

---can you org-stow things in org-drawers? like org-socks?

enough comedy; seriously though, yes please, I'm interested.

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
"Tom Breton (Tehom)" <address@hidden> writes:

> Any interest in trying this out?  I can push it if anyone else wants to
> try it out.

I'm interested!  Please let me know where I can read some code.

Thanks :)

--
 Bastien