[Orgmode] org-babel: Bugs with inline src_* blocks

From: Paul Sexton
Subject: [Orgmode] org-babel: Bugs with inline src_* blocks
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 02:31:27 +0000 (UTC)

I am experiencing a couple of significant bugs with inline src blocks in
org-babel -- ie blocks of the form src_LANG{EXPRESSION}. I am using the
development version of org, checked out a few days ago.

Pressing C-c C-c with the cursor on such a block is supposed to evaluate it and
echo the result to the minibuffer. However in recent versions of org (the last
3 months or so) this behaviour has become broken, at least for me.

The following is an example file.

------start-------
#+BABEL: :session s1 :exports value latex :results raw

#+BEGIN_SRC R :results none :exports none
1+2+3
#+END_SRC

src_R{1+1}
------end--------

Pressing C-c C-c with the cursor on the inline block produces the error:

  'R' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
  operable program or batch file.

This happens even if the session named s1 is already running. However, if I
first evaluate the BEGIN_SRC ... END_SRC block, using
org-babel-execute-src-block, and then reattempt to evaluate the inline block, it
will work. If I then press C-c C-c on the '#+BABEL:' line at the start of the
file, the inline block goes back to producing the error.

The second, and more aggravating, error is do with the consequences of
evaluating inline blocks. Formerly the result would be echoed in the
minibuffer, and the document itself would not be altered. Now org has taken to
inserting the result after the block, the same behaviour as a non-inline block.
The header arguments used for this insertion seem to carry over either from the
previous non-inline block, or possibly the global settings (BABEL: line).

So for example, if I press C-c C-c on the src_R{1+1} above, I get:

-------
src_R{1+1} #+BEGIN_LaTeX
2#+END_LaTeX

-------

I want inline code blocks to replace themselves with their result when
exporting the document to latex etc. I *never* want them to paste their results
into the document while editing - that is what non-inline blocks are for.

Is this change in behaviour intentional? If so is there a setting that will
revert to the old behaviour?

Paul