Re: [Orgmode] [babel] Suggestions: GRASS GIS und Lilypond

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [babel] Suggestions: GRASS GIS und Lilypond
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 10:11:13 +0100

On 02/15/2011 02:02 AM, Thorsten wrote:
> Hello Babel developers,
> just two suggestions for new languages:
> 1. GRASS GIS
> As far as I know there is no grass-mode in emacs, but some expert people are
> successful running grass processes together with R processes in ESS.
> Since GRASS and R are natural allies, it would be great to use the GRASS
> engine in an org-file to retrieve spatial data and then analyse the data
> with R in the same file - would make Org a kind of emacs-grassmode
> replacement.

I second that - but what would be really needed to make this work
nicely, is syntax highlighting for grass commands.

And in addition, GRASS scripts are shell scripts - so one should be able
to use a combination of :session and sh code blocks to run GRASS
commands without problems (haven't tried it yet, but nice idea).

The only question would be on how can I start a shell, in which I start
GRASS in which I run the R shell? Well - what I did was to start GRASS
in xterm, in GRASS start emacs with & and when I started R in emacs, it
was running in GRASS.

Is this what you mean, or am I missing here something?

Rainer

> 2. Lilypond
> A nice to have for all the music lovers in the org community.
> Regards
> Thorsten

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)