Re: [Orgmode] ePub and Org mode

From: Alan L Tyree
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] ePub and Org mode
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 09:15:58 +1100

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 22:46:02 +0100
Christian Moe <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I agree exporting 'chapters' in a single Org document to separate
> html files would be a nice option to have.
>
> Pending someone writing an export function for this, you could
>
> - post-process the HTML with one of the scripts out there for
> splitting up web pages, like htsplit available on CPAN;
>
> - or go the Org -> DocBook -> `chunked' HTML route?

Good idea. In fact, I just did a simple keyboard macro to go through
the file and export subtrees. Only 12 chapters, so not much of a call
for anything more difficult.

> But just out of curiosity, why would you like this for the purpose of
> making an ePub book? Are you using a tool that requires it? (Unlike,
> e.g., Calibre, which takes a single HTML file as input, with TOC
> built from e.g. H2 as chapter headings.)

Fair question. Using something like Calibre is what I would normally
do. I have also used Sigil to build ePub books from a single html file.
It is good since you can add some final editing touches.

I got started on it because I was having a look at pandoc which purports
to build ePub directly. But it doesn't split the files.

Anyway, the (dumb) answer is that I was just fooling around looking at
the internals of ePub structure. Trying to avoid real work :-).

Alan

> Yours,
> Christian
>

> On 2/19/11 10:25 AM, Alan L Tyree wrote:
> > Greetings from Down Under,
> > I am constructing an ePub formatted book. It came to me in plain
> > text and I have formatted in org-mode.
> >
> > It is easy to export to XHTML, the first step in ePub construction,
> > but I would like every chapter to be a separate file. It is easy
> > enough to do this with a macro or a simple function (even though I
> > am no elisp guru). Is there an export function that does this? I
> > didn't see it in the docs and I don't see anything about it doing a
> > Google search.
> >
> > What would really be nice, is a single command to create the ePub
> > file.
> >
> > Any help appreciated.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Alan