[Orgmode] Re: question about capture templates

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: question about capture templates
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 08:32:10 -0800

Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden>
writes:

> "Filippo A. Salustri" wrote:
>> I would really like to be able to vary the file into which a captured item
>> goes.  Specifically, I'd like to insert the item into whatever file I was
>> visiting when I started the capture.

> You have to use backquotes so that expressions are considered as code to
> execute, instead of data. See Emacs manual.

I'm not sure that backquotes will do what the OP wants.  Backquotes will
allow the OP to compute the value of a target file at the time the (setq
org-capture templates ...) form is evaluated.  The OP needs a way to
determine the target file at the time of capture (right?), not at the
time the variable is set.

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions on how to hack that.  If the
target of most captures can be determined based on their type, maybe you
can just use the refile mechanism (C-c C-w instead of C-c C-c) to
manually handle the exceptions.  If not, maybe look into wrapping
or replacing org-capture-refile somehow.

Best,
Richard