Re: [Orgmode] Two questions about using a =#+begin_src emacs-lisp= block

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Two questions about using a =#+begin_src emacs-lisp= block
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 11:06:00 -0700

Chris Malone <address@hidden> writes:

> Ok, this is still perplexing me, as I have a new version from git and I
> still get the error.  The following is complete list (sorry for the long
> email!) of what I have done:
>
> * Get a fresh copy of =org-mode= from git and byte-compile:
>
> #+begin_src: sh
>   cd ~/install/org-mode
>   mkdir new_git_clone
>   cd new_git_clone
>   git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
>   cd org-mode; make &> make.out
>   ln -s ~/install/org-mode/new_git_clone/org-mode ~/install/org-mode/current
> #+end_src

if you are worried that you don't have the correct version of Org-mode
installed you can check the output of the `org-version' function.  Mine
reads

"Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.510.g1e35)"

> During the =make= process, I noticed quite a few warnings.  An example is
> below (for a complete copy of =make.out=, see
> http://astro.sunysb.edu/cmalone/nolink/make.out
[...]
> Are such warnings normal?

yes, these are normal compiler warnings which are generally cleaned up
before releases but shouldn't have any negative impact on the behavior
of Org-mode

> * Make sure my =.emacs= file is pointing to the correct location
> Here is a copy of the =org-mode=-relevant sections of my =.emacs= file:

[...]
> * Attempt an export of the =org-mode= file found here:
> http://astro.sunysb.edu/cmalone/nolink/python_class_lstings.org

One thing to note here, is that for your emacs-lisp block to work on
export, you need to change this

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :exports both
  (buffer-file-name)
#+end_src

to this

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var file-name=(buffer-file-name) :exports both
  file-name
#+end_src

because only header arguments are guaranteed to be evaluated in the
original org-mode buffer during export.

That said I was able to export your example file (without the change
above) to html.  When exporting to latex I ran into an issue, the
problem here is that the LaTeX exporter *requires* at least one
headline.  It explicitly export the pre-first-headline and
post-first-headline portions of the Org-mode buffer separately.  When
there is no headline, and the buffer contains code blocks, then they are
exported *twice*, which causes the error you mentioned, because after
the first pass of the code-block export, the results in the file are not
valid for another pass of the exporter.

If you place a "* " before the "Let's start this..." line, then the
errors should disappear.

Hope this helps.

Best -- Eric