[Orgmode] Re: ical2org (better timezone recognition and better default f

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: ical2org (better timezone recognition and better default for max_age option)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 20:44:57 +0000

Arun Persaud <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi
>
>> however, I'm a little concerned with some of the other changes,
>> specifically that all timed events have become scheduled todo
>> entries (of type GCAL) which really doesn't fit in with my use case
>> at all unfortunately.
>
> probably should make this configurable. How about defining a string that
> is attached to all entries, this could then be "GCAL", "TODO" or just
> empty "".

yes, that would be good.  You should aim to keep the configuration
options defined directly in the file to a minimum or at least
configurable at run time.

> The reason that I added the GCAL is that when I want to exclude them
> from being exported back into google, so a tag worked fine, but I guess
> this could also be done in other ways.

the whole point of the UID field was to ensure that any entries exported
back would be ignored as google will treat any such entry as already
there if the id matches one of the entries.

>> I think scheduled events should be restricted to TODO entries --
>> maybe it's a matter of figuring out how google exports tasks and keep
>> diary entries as just that?
>
> I'm not using google tasks or emacs diary, so I can't really say how
> this would work

No, sorry, not the Emacs Diary/Calendar but entries that appear in the
org agenda view simply as timed entries.  E.g. something like

#+begin_src org
* meeting with my students
  <2011-02-24 Thu 11:00-11:30>
#+end_src

will appear in the agenda for that day and that time.  As soon as you
"schedule" something, it becomes a "task" and it will continue to appear
on following days until you mark the "task" as done.  This is very
different from a simple timed entry in the agenda.  For timed entries
(or all day entries) from google, the direct mapping in org is simple
headings with /active/ time stamps.  There is no need for the SCHEDULED
specification.

>> I do like that you are picking up the LOCATION and STATUS fields.  I
>> wonder if these could be made into properties for the org headlines
>> you create, much as is done with the UID entry?
>
> should be easy.

Yes, simply move the two output statements for these to where the "id"
information is written out.

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.529.gb23d.dirty)