[Orgmode] [HOW] no way to escape vertical bar (pipe char) in tables?

From: Vladimir Alexiev
Subject: [Orgmode] [HOW] no way to escape vertical bar (pipe char) in tables?
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:59:39 +0000 (UTC)

I want to manage some perl regexps in a table
then feed them to a code block (literate programming).
Unfortunately they include alternatives (|)
and the table editor thinks this is a column break.

There's no way to escape this?

On a related thought: what is the best way to manage
leading/trailing spaces in a table cell?
I've been forced to use \x20 for this purpose...