[Orgmode] Re: Startup page

From: Christian Mandel
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Startup page
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 15:03:19 +0100

Am 27.02.2011 11:15, schrieb Bastien:
> [...]
>
> I'm not sure it is worth trying to set up a complicated startup buffer.
> Depends on your need, of course, but you'll found out that it's always
> too rigid: it assumes your buffer can tell you what you want, instead of
> *you* telling him what to do.
>
> That's the same problem than selecting the "right" homepage for your
> browser.  Finally nearly everyone end up using a search engine webpage,
> which is redundant anyway, as browsers now have a websearch field.
>
> The trick is to find out what you want to browse *before* opening your
> browser, then open it for that.  Or to find out what you want to do with
> Emacs and open it for that.  Don't let predefined affordances drive your
> mind, let your mind drive your Emacs :)

Hm, that was just coming to my mind while reading your post: In my
browser I use the »fast dial« extension, providing a matrix of pictures
representing and linking to my 12 most frequently used websites. These
are, e. g., the department's address list, the homepage of the lecture
I'm in charge of, the admin interface to this page, the library search
page, and so on. I'm not sure if this would work in emacs too, but a
startup buffer with links to my most frequently used org files, the
exercises directory of the lecture, the global BibTeX file, and so on
could be interesting. But how to replace the website's pictures of the
»fast dial« extension, providing a fast recognition without having to
read, in emacs? Without this visual hint, it would just be bookmarks ...

Sorry for the noise, just my 0.02 $.

Anyway, up to now my startup buffer is the scratch buffer. But I don't
have to close (restart) emacs that often, just every couple of weeks.

Regards, Chris