[O] Re: Closing #+results: with #+end declaration?

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [O] Re: Closing #+results: with #+end declaration?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 14:54:36 +0100

Hi Eric and Bastien,

"Eric Schulte" wrote:
>> reading this, I wonder if we should consider use this instead:
>>
>> #+results:
>> - ("eric" "schulte")
>> - ("dan" "davison")
>> - ("seb" "vauban")
>> #+end
>>
>> or better:
>>
>> #+begin_results
>> - ("eric" "schulte")
>> - ("dan" "davison")
>> - ("seb" "vauban")
>> #+end_results
>>
>> Looks more consistent with the rest of the #+begin* statements.
>
> This has come up before, and there are now options which allow wrapping of
> results, e.g.,
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :results wrap :exports both
>   (mapcar (lambda (el) (list el (+ 1 (* el el)))) (number-sequence 0 2))
> #+end_src
>
> #+results:
> #+BEGIN_RESULT
> |  0 |   1 |
> |  1 |   2 |
> |  2 |   5 |
> #+END_RESULT
>
>> More generally, I've sometimes wondered why we need to use
>>
>> #+begin_*
>> #+end_*
>>
>> instead of just
>>
>> #+begin_*
>> #+end
>>
>> Unless we allow nested #+begin blocks (and AFAIK we don't), there is no
>> real need for being specific about what #+end ends.
>> What do you think?

I'm always in favor of (a bit) too much of information, rather than not
enough. Properly closing the results block (with a meaningful name) has the
following advantages IMHO:

- close to LaTeX and HTML styles -- though, a detail;

- allows inserting blocks in other blocks (of a different nature);

- maybe if numbered, and if there is a strong use case, would allow to insert
  blocks inside blocks of the same type.

Remember a discussion we had where we would even be able to specify the name
of the wrap environment to be used -- though not yet implemented.

> I agree that (possibly aside from clarity) there is no real need for the end
> block to specify its type. However as I use helper methods (e.g. yasnippets)
> for all block creation, then extra characters represent no real typing
> burden.

If I had to choose (a right I don't have ;-)), I would more opt for the
disappearance of the alone `#+results':' line, and only have `results' blocks
such as:

#+begin_results
#+end_results

That would simplify the way results are shown when wrapped, and avoid some
problems (inserting results with blanks lines, not being able to say where it
ends).

This would stop the redundancy of the results line, and allow as well an easy
conversion to nicely formatted LaTeX or HTML.

My 2 cents.

Best regards,
  Seb

--