Re: [O] Re: view in browser

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Re: view in browser
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 18:02:15 -0500

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:

> skip <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I used to be able to do C-x C-e b to view the org file in a browser.
> > Now it just generates the file but not
> > open the browser. Same with PDF. Don't know what changed, but how do I
> > get back the functionality? Thanks.
>
> Assuming you meant =C-c C-e b=, this does not work for me either;
> however, =C-c C-e d= does work and opens the PDF in docview.  For
> symmetry, I would have liked =b= to open my html in emacs w3m, I guess?

As I mentioned, C-c C-e b works fine for me: Org-mode version 7.4
(release_7.4.530.g3c69).

The precise way it works however depends on whether you are
on a GNU system (default: use mailcap), MacOSX (use specific applications or
default "open") or Windows (use w32-shell-execute open). All cases are
funnelled through the org-open-file function though, so tracing that
should tell you what's broken. The relevant variables are org-file-apps
and org-file-apps-defaults-{gnu,macosx,windowsnt}.

In my case (Ubuntu 10.10), I get a default "mailcap" map which takes
"text/html" to the entry in the system /etc/mailcap:
"/usr/bin/sensible-browser", a shell script which eventually opens the
file in firefox.

As for opening it in emacs w3m, I don't know how to do that.

Nick