Re: [O] using org-mode with MS Outlook

From: David Ellis
Subject: Re: [O] using org-mode with MS Outlook
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 16:25:14 -0600

After I sent this email, I found ical2org.el. I saved a month of my
calendar from Outlook to an iCalendar file. Then, I used
ical2org/convert-file to convert it to an org file. All of the times
were off by 6 hours. Since I live in the Central time zone in the US
that is GMT-6, I wondered if this was the issue. When I used
icalendar-import-file to convert the iCalendar file to a diary file,
the times were okay.

I edited the iCalendar file and removed the timezone section which
included the following:

BEGIN:VTIMEZONE
TZID:Central Time (US & Canada)
BEGIN:STANDARD
DTSTART:16011104T020000
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;BYDAY=1SU;BYMONTH=11
TZOFFSETFROM:-0500
TZOFFSETTO:-0600
END:STANDARD
BEGIN:DAYLIGHT
DTSTART:16010311T020000
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;BYDAY=2SU;BYMONTH=3
TZOFFSETFROM:-0600
TZOFFSETTO:-0500
END:DAYLIGHT
END:VTIMEZONE

After this ical2org/convert-file produced an org file with the correct
times. The times in the iCalendar file produced by Outlook were in
GMT.

Is there a way to get this to work without manually editing the iCalendar file?

--

David Ellis