Re: [O] How to escape characters in tables

From: Camille persson
Subject: Re: [O] How to escape characters in tables
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 18:41:27 +0100

Hi Ken,

2011/3/4 <address@hidden>

On 3/3/11 9:07 PM, "Suvayu Ali" <address@hidden> wrote:

>On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 09:25:57 -0600
><address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> The issue is that I've got tables whose cells contain the '|'
>> character (it's a table of regular expressions), and I can't seem to
>> figure out how to escape it so that it doesn't mean a delimiter
>> between cells.  Anyone have advice or a pointer to the docs I can't
>> seem to find?
>>

>I don't think you can.

I'm making slight progress, actually.

On StackOverflow
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5144862/escape-pipe-character-in-org-mo
de), it was suggested to use the \vert{} character escape, which does
work.

However, since this is code (a regular _expression_), I want it to appear
monospaced, so I'm not out of the woods yet - here's a test case that
shows my intent:

 | foo | =m/foo\vert{}foodfight/= |

The \vert{} seems not to work inside a =...= construction.  Furthermore,
the =...= construction is problematic there because it conflicts with the
start-of-formula syntax.

=...= is used for code so it is printed as it written
You may use \texttt{}
| foo | \texttt{m\/foo\vert{}foodfight\/} |

I don't have emacs right now so I can test it... but it should work

CP

--
Ken Williams
Senior Research Scientist