[O] Re: [Orgmode] Using org-protocol to (org-)capture files for read/rev

From: David Maus
Subject: [O] Re: [Orgmode] Using org-protocol to (org-)capture files for read/review?
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2011 18:52:02 +0100

At Thu, 24 Feb 2011 10:27:59 +0100,
Albin Stjerna wrote:

> Hello, notmuch-org!
>
> I'm using org-mode to structure most of my life, but I haven't been able
> to incorporate my list of PDFs (or other documents) to read/review in
> org-mode, so currently I'm just putting them in ~/read-review.
>
> However, I thought I'd use org-protocol and emacsclient to add links to
> these files to org-mode, but I'm unable to figure out how to do it. I'd
> like to map the full path to a file, and then have that file appended to
> a plain list in a given org file with the TODO tag set (something like
> org-protocol:/capture:/r/path/to/filename.pdf/«.
>
> I can then implement pushing to my read/review stack with a simple shell
> command that a) moves the new file to ~/read-review and b) adds a link
> to the file on my org-mode read/review stack using the above mentioned
> emacsclient command.
>
> So far, I've tried adding the following to org-capture-templates:
>      ("r" "read/review" entry (file "~/org/read-review.org")
>       "* TODO read %c"
>       :immediate-finish t)
>
> Obviously »%c« wrong here -- but what should I replace it with?

C-h v org-capture-templates RET

The template defines the text to be inserted.  Often this is an org-mode
entry (so the first line should start with a star) that will be filed as a
child of the target headline.  It can also be freely formatted text.
Furthermore, the following %-escapes will be replaced with content:

  %a          annotation, normally the link created with `org-store-link'

So %a inserts the link.

However, for your function to work properly you need to percent escape
the slashes in /path/to/file as org capture uses the slash to separate
the different link components.

"Percent escaping" is the same es "URL Encoding", e.g. there should be
something for your shell and/or preferred application to fire capture.

Best,
  -- David