Re: [O] How to escape characters in tables

From: Ken.Williams
Subject: Re: [O] How to escape characters in tables
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 11:45:57 -0600

From:  Camille persson <address@hidden>
> 2011/3/4  <address@hidden>
>> [...] here's a test case that shows my intent:
>>
>>   | foo | =m/foo\vert{}foodfight/= |
>>
>> The \vert{} seems not to work inside a =...= construction.  Furthermore,
>> the =...= construction is problematic there because it conflicts with
>>the
>> start-of-formula syntax.

> =...= is used for code so it is printed as it written
> You may use \texttt{}
> | foo | \texttt{m\/foo\vert{}foodfight\/} |

Unfortunately that doesn't work when exporting to HTML though, I assume
it's for LaTeX export only?

I'd suggest there are 3 things that need to be addressed/fixed in org-mode.

First, the table-parser should respect =...= sections and skip over them,
just like a C preprocessor respects double-quoted string sections.

Second, there should be a way to indicate verbatim sections that doesn't
conflict with formula syntax.

Finally, there should be a way (e.g. \x{...}) to stick in a character by
ASCII/Unicode number.  This would help with several issues when a literal
character is intended but it conflicts with a markup character.

--
Ken Williams
Senior Research Scientist