Re: [O] Defining capture-templates: custom and init file

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] Defining capture-templates: custom and init file
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 21:39:32 -0800

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 12:17:58 +1000
"Alan E. Davis" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I would like to request advice, on how can I set up so most of my
> capture templates are loaded from a file (~/org/capture-templates.el
> in my case) and still retain the ability to define new capture
> templates on the fly.  I want the best of both worlds:

Sorry, can't be done. The customize interface stores the
(custom-set-variables ... ) block in the init file. Having more than
one such code block might lead to unpredictable Emacs behaviour. Your
only two choices are:

1. Use customize. Then your capture templates are stored with your other
   emacs customisations in your init file (e.g. ~/.emacs,
   ~/.emacs.d/init.el or whatever).

2. Use setq to define your templates outside of customize. If you choose
   this, you lose the ability to define templates using customize and
   save it. You can still however save a template temporarily `C-c C-c'.

I hope this answers your query.

--
Suvayu