Re: [O] [dev] org-indent-mode patch

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] [dev] org-indent-mode patch
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 08:51:27 +0100

Hi Nicolas,

On 13.3.2011, at 17:21, Nicolas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to submit the following org-indent-mode patch for testing.
>
>     git://github.com/ngz/org-mode-lists.git indent-patch-no-timer
>
> It implements two things:
>
> 1. It indents correctly text when using visual-line-mode;
> 2. It removes the idle timer previous implementation was using, which
>   means it won't refresh indentation more often than necessary.
>
> Unfortunately, there is a price to pay:
>
> 1. Initialization will be much longer for large Org files, but I've
>   added a message to the user saying so.
> 2. It is a bit slower, as the algorithm has more things to check.
>

> Last point is obviously my main concern. Although not noticeable on my
> not-so-recent laptop, I don't know how it behaves on old machines.
>
> That's why a testing is necessary to determine (bugs and) if it is
> usable. Any help welcome.
> initial testing seems to show that this works well, very nice.

The delay at the beginning is long, and it might be annoying
when org pulls in a buffer just to look something up,
without org-inhibit-startup scoped into the file loading.

Maybe one could arrange for the initialization to happen just
before the buffer is first *displayed* (I do not know if that
is possible).

Just one nitpicking:  The idle timer may force updating when
not necessary - but using after-change-functions will update after
each character inserted.  So in fact your code might be updating
more often at least while typing - maybe not while looking at
the buffer and jumping around.  I am not a fast typist, but maybe
fast typists will notice significant delays, in particular
while writing inside a very long section?

Regards

- Carsten