Re: [O] Re: Slow movement in large buffers

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Re: Slow movement in large buffers
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 18:56:53 -0400

Christian Moe <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Yes, hardware is indeed a factor here. I'm using a dual-core Atom processor
> > with 2GB of memory.
> >
> > Matt
> >

> I'm not so sure about the hardware factor.
>
> I'm on a seven-year-old G4 Mac PPC laptop with 768 MB RAM.
>
> Over the same folded headings in a freshly pulled org-issues (Other to
> Development Tasks), I get
>
> previous-line      5       5.89456       1.178912
>
> Definitely a lag, but not as bad as you're seeing.

True, but it's still a factor: on my laptop I get

previous-line  2           1.435139      0.7175695
next-line      1           0.446293      0.446293

being very careful to avoid next-line/previous-line in any other
context:  that was one next-line from "Other" to "Closed issues" and two
previous-lines from "Closed Issues" to "Other" to "Development
Tasks". Given the five previous-lines in your profile, I suspect that
one or two were much longer than the others which skewed the average.

Given the evidence that Lawrence Mitchell provided however, it seems clear
that most of the blame can be placed on overlays - no?

Nick