Re: [O] [babel] Trouble with :cache yes

From: Ken.Williams
Subject: Re: [O] [babel] Trouble with :cache yes
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:05:40 -0500

On 3/23/11 12:54 PM, "Williams, Ken (TR Corp Tech)"
<address@hidden> wrote:

>On 3/23/11 12:28 PM, "Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>Thanks for pointing this out, your example doesn't work for me either.
>>I tracked this down to a problem of not finding the cached results of
>>named code blocks.  I've just pushed up a simple fix for this issue, so
>>caching should now work as expected.
>
>Thanks Eric.  In my case I'm seeing the [mis]behavior even when the code
>block has no name - will your fix cover that case too?

Actually, I just realized I'm mistaken.  If I manually evaluate a
(non-named) block, *then* export the entire document, I indeed get the
cached results in the export, as expected.

However, if I change the code of a :cached block somewhere in my document
(or its MD5 is otherwise invalidated) and re-export the document without
first doing C-c C-c, the export will neither use the cache (which is good)
nor save the results back to the cache (which is bad), so the export is
now out of sync with the original.  It would be great if the results in
exports could be cached in the same way they would be cached when manually
evaluating blocks.

Or perhaps, is there some command to evaluate all blocks in a document
that need to be re-evaluated, and save the results back to the buffer?  I
could do that every time before exporting, maybe.

--
Ken Williams
Senior Research Scientist