[O] Re: s-tab not working as intended in kde's konsole

From: Izzie
Subject: [O] Re: s-tab not working as intended in kde's konsole
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 00:18:48 +0000 (UTC)

Eric S Fraga <e.fraga <at> ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> > Izzie <ml_orgmode.kapush <at> antichef.net> writes:
> > This problem occurs on an aptosid (debian sid 64-bits) laptop with kde when
> > running emacs in konsole with the -nw parameter.
>
> My experience with console use of emacs is that many key sequences are
> not possible.  Some are trapped by whatever terminal emulator is being
> used and others are simply not understood.

I had this problem with gnome-terminal and using zsh but switching to kde fixed
it as it seems konsole does a good job at not getting in the way by dealing
smartly with shortkeys collision, somehow telling when the shortkey should go
the shell and when it should go to konsole. At least until now, maybe I hadn't
hit the specific key combination that does not work inside konsole yet.

> The trick is to identify which ones are not and provide
> alternative bindings for those commands if you really need them.  You
> can, of course, always execute any given command using =M-x command RET=
> (where M-x may have to be invoked by =ESC x=).
>
> However, one must ask: why use emacs in console mode if you are running
> kde?  This does limit what emacs can do.

Remote editing of files through ssh often (but not always) inside screen is the
reason. I know about tramp but haven't had time to look into it yet. I have not
found an equivalent to screen though.