Re: [O] Customizing LaTeX-export, Beamer, \institute, and BEAMER_envarg

From: Bernd Weiss
Subject: Re: [O] Customizing LaTeX-export, Beamer, \institute, and BEAMER_envargs
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 06:34:24 -0400

Am 24.03.2011 05:16, schrieb Eric S Fraga:
Bernd Weiss<address@hidden>  writes:

Dear all,

I am preparing a Beamer presentation and I am having some trouble with
side effects (?) due to my attempt to customize the LaTeX-export. My
minimum example can be found below.

The default LaTeX-export does not recognise the '\institute'-option (I
mean, as far as I know). For that reason, I run "(add-to-list
org-export-latex-classes ...)". Unfortunately, the export-function
does no longer recognice ":BEAMER_envargs: [plain]" (or
":BEAMER_envargs: [shrink=5]")[1].

yes, that is correct.  the default entry uses =org-beamer-sectioning=
which is where headings are translated to latex section or frame or
block etc entries *and* where the special beamer properties are
processed.   As you have replaced the sectioning section of
=org-export-latex-classes= with your own, you have lost all of that
functionality.

You seem to want to achieve two things:

1. added your macros into the latex preamble, and
2. add the [fragile] option to each frame.

I would suggest you do 1 as you have done but keep org-beamer-sectioning
as the second argument for the org-export-latex-classes entry.  To add
[fragile] to each frame, I would recommend, instead, using some
automated form of input, such as a yasnippet snippet like this one
(untested):

#name : frame
# --
** ${1:frame title}
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_envargs: ${2:[fragile]}
    :END:
    $0

so that typing "frame" followed by TAB would define a new headline,
prompting for the title and possible arguments (with defaults).

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your help! Unfortunately, that's not what I was looking for and, therefore, rephrased my unclear question ("Specifying \institute[short]{long] in Beamer presentations"). As pointed out by Miklós or Suvayu, the solution was embarrassingly simpel: Just include

#+BEAMER_HEADER_EXTRA:  \institute{My insitute}

or

#+LaTeX_HEADER: \institute[short name]{My awesome institute}

Anyway, I really appreciate your help!

Bernd