Re: [O] Bug: Recurring items NEVER show up in timeline unaccompanied

From: Mark S
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Recurring items NEVER show up in timeline unaccompanied
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 09:31:20 -0800

Hello Carsten et al,

--- On Thu, 3/24/11, Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

1. Be satisfied with the way things are, just realize
   that repeaters only show up on the first date when
   the event happens for the first time.

This would mean that you could never *trust* the
timeline when dealing with events more than a week or
two out. You would always have that lingering worry
that you forgot to bump one of the repeaters.

2. Use the agenda, restricted to a single file, for a
   time range you specify.  This has the advantage
   that also diary sexps will work properly - the
   timeline currently has no way to deal with these.

This would be great if there were a "sparse"
agenda. There isn't a way to make the agenda not show
empty days is there? As it is, if you make an agenda
extending out a year, you will have to wade through
several hundred lines worth of empty days.

3. Change the section of the timeline code that
   produces the list of interesting dates.

That seems like a good solution. Is it difficult?

4. Define a variable that will make the timeline
   always look at *every* date in the range covered
   by the file.  And live with the fact that
   constructing the view might take long.  Maybe it
   will not even to terribly long if you really use
   this view for single projects.  This would be easy
   to implement.

This would work too, I think. Creating an agenda that
goes out one year only took about 3 seconds on my
not-state-of-the-art machine. Presumably the timeline
would be faster, since it wouldn't produce all the
extra gap lines.

Actually, when I tried to make a year long agenda using
v-y I spent just about as much getting past the "are
you sure" screens as it took to build the agenda.

The ideal solution would be that the Timeline view
would process dates exactly like the agenda, including
multiple-files, but display them like the traditional
timeline, with ranges of dates omitted.

Mark