Re: [O] Outlook replacement

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Outlook replacement
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:06:38 -0500

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Henri-Paul Indiogine
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> A few days ago I noticed a headline somewhere, possibly
> http://linuxtoday.com or http://lxer.com, that read "an Outlook
> replacement for Linux".
>
> Then I thought, I have an Emacs gnus frame next to a frame with my
> agenda.org.   I guess that is my "Outlook replacement".  Also, regularly I
> export my agenda to Google Calendar.   So, I am not missing anything
> from Outlook.  Yes, I know, I can not schedule appointments in a
> corporate setting, but I work more or less alone.

I would love to do this. Unfortunately, it is limiting in a corporate
setting -- my IMAP/POP ports are blocked (using emacs for personal
email is out), the admins have not enabled IMAP/POP on the company
Lotus Notes Domino server (using emacs for work emails is out), and
yes, no scheduling would work from emacs through Domino innards,
probably.

There is some hope: http://bit.ly/fEkWrN

They've created a command line interface to Lotus Notes that works...
but only 32bit (I have to chroot into a 32bit environment) and one
would have to parse everything that came through to make it usable and
also write elisp functions that sent Lotus Notes commands via the
command line client.

Anyway, I *love* the idea of doing this... but it's quite difficult
when the "corporate world" is against you!

John