Re: [O] Re: Comma-protection of Org blocks

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Re: Comma-protection of Org blocks
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 16:51:40 -0400

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> wrote:

> The question really is if org hasn't evolved to the point where it needs
> a more general quoting/escaping mechanism.  This might be one of the
> things to ponder during the upcoming exporter cleanup, but goes a bit
> beyond just exporting.

Absolutely right - org has grown organically (if you'll pardon the pun):
it has developed different quoting mechanisms for different aspects of it, and
they don't always work correctly, even in their restricted domain (braces
in the LaTeX exporter cause trouble often e.g.).

It would be great if a more general quoting mechanism could be
incorporated into the formal description of org. That could then be used
to reimplement these mechanisms. But I suspect it would be a big job and
backward compatibility would also be a big problem.

Nick